Delta Rights Group email letter to Nigerian President
June 26, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan
Office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
Aso Rock Villa, Asokoro District, Abuja.
RE: IMPENDING DISASTER ARISING FROM THE SALES OF OML 42 (BATAN, JONES CREEK, EGWA 1, EGWA 2, ODIDI 1 AND ODIDI 2 FIELDS)
This mail is being sent to you on behalf of the NECONDE 115 as a follow up to the first mail sent on April 13, which we are aware action is being taken.
OML 42 was divested by SHELL and these personnel were divested along with the sold asset. NECONDE later had Operatorship issues with NPDC and the 115 personnel seconded to NECONDE by SHELL were dropped.
Implications of this action:
1. Production is on a steady decline at Batan Flowstation
2. Other fields like Odidi, Jones Creek have not been re-entered and no plans to re-enter them
3. 115 able-bodied men and women were wrongly tricked out of their jobs by SHELL/NECONDE
4. Majority of the NECONDE 115 are from the Niger Delta
5. These NECONDE 115 were shortchanged by SHELL when paying them their Loss of Office payment
6. NECONDE did not pay the affected personnel any form of Severance Package
7. SHELL and NECONDE are using ‘Divide and Rule’ tactic by employing some of these NECONDE 115 to break the collective resolve of the Group
These have the tendency to cause disaffection and unrest in the Niger Delta because these people have immediate and extended families that they are taking care of.
Sir, as a Niger Deltan, we are appealing to you to call the management of SHELL and NECONDE to order so that these people are paid the shortfall of their Severance Package from SHELL and NECONDE, and that they are restored back to their jobs.
Attached is the List of the NECONDE 115, the Niger Deltans are highlighted in yellow. Out of 115 people, 70 are from the Niger Delta making up 60%.
SHELL operates a skewed HR policy that targets people from a particular Geopolitical zone, especially the one laying the golden egg? This is clearly victimization and oppression of the Niger Delta Region by SHELL. Niger Delta is where the economic mainstay of the Nation is coming from. This is where SHELL makes her incomes, instead of making the people happy; SHELL is oppressing them and foisting people from other Regions in Nigeria on them.
Also, the personnel highlighted in red was killed by SHELL and NECONDE as a result of the mental and psychological trauma caused by the loss of job.
We look forward to a favorable response from you.
Delta Rights Group