MHI Joins “ACT FOR SKY,” to Promote Domestically Produced SAF
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) is pleased to announce that today it has joined “ACT FOR SKY,” a voluntary organization established jointly by JGC Holdings Corporation Co.,Ltd., REVO International Inc. All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd. and Japan Airlines Co.,Ltd. (Headquarters: Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, President: AKASAKA Yuji, Representative Director) that works to commercialize, promote and expand the use of domestically produced sustainable aviation fuel (SAF)(1).
“ACT FOR SKY” with “ACT” representing the cooperation and collaboration by companies committed to take “action” for these goals-will aim to raise awareness among citizens and companies of the importance of SAF, carbon neutrality and achieving a circular economy. Applying expertise across relevant industries, the four founding companies will coordinate the activity of other member companies as well.
MHI is embarking on a project to develop a commercial-scale supply chain for sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) derived by biomass gasification integrated with FT synthesis technology(2). By achieving reduction in greenhouse gas emissions caused by jet fuels, the Company will contribute to mitigating the aviation industry’s impact on the global environment.
- A rapidly growing global need to reduce CO2 emissions has called for the aviation industry to accelerate the development, production, distribution, and use of SAF. This fuel is sourced from sustainable resources such as tallow (animal oils and fats), used cooking oil (UCO), biomass, municipal solid waste, exhaust gases, and CO2.
- As global SAF demand grows, a stable supply of domestically produced SAF is considered essential in Japan. However, domestically produced SAF has not been commercialized yet, and establishing stable supply chain, from procurement of feedstock to supply of SAF, remains an urgent issue.
- Compared to Europe and the U.S, where SAF is already being commercialized, and its awareness is relatively strong, it is necessary to raise the awareness of SAF in Japan as well.
Overview of activities
- Promotion of the members’ activities toward decarbonization and a circular economy through the domestic production of SAF
- Discussions and analysis on the costs to achieve these goals
- Raise awareness on carbon neutrality, through local governments and education
- Exchanging information among members, for next actions
- Share information on how other countries are acting for SAF promotion
- Identify common issues for domestic SAF production, and share the information and analysis gathered with related organizations
Information Source: Read More
Oil and gas, press , | Energy, Climate, Renewable, Wind, Biomass, Sustainability, Oil Price, LPG, Solar, Electric,